Friday, April 23, 2010

Temptation

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13

Last night I was drawn to the last of the children's Easter candy.  I know there's a chocolate bunny or two hiding out in their rooms.  But I resisted.... I had pickles instead. lol.

Nights when my husband is gone are pitfalls of temptation where healthy eating is concerned.  These nights are fairly frequent since he works shiftwork that includes two sets of graveyards a month.  I'll go through the evening routine and we'll probably even have a healthy dinner.  But once the kids are in bed all bets are off.  I'm confessing right now that I will lay in bed by myself, watch TV  and eat anything and every junk food I can find.  I feel so disgusted with myself afterward, but it's a habit I've had a hard time breaking.

This morning I was proud of myself for resisting the temptation of candy last night, but I DID eat something.  And that's still not completely breaking the habit.  I got to thinking about a discussion our ladies Bible study class has had quite a few times.

When you remove anything from your life it leaves a hole.  You MUST fill that hole with God, or satan will slip in and fill it for you.

Trying to overcome my emotional eating habits without God's help is impossible.  Taking away that comfort (although temporary) of food and not filling the void with something with never result in success.

I'm committing right now to READ MY BIBLE during that time after the kids go to bed that I would usually use to raid the cabinet.  With His strength all things are possible...... even weight loss for emotional eaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment