Wednesday, January 27, 2010

WFMW - Favorite Kitchen Tools


I'm at a loss today for anything worthwhile to contribute to WFMW.  Yes, I'm taking the easy way out and spotlighting some of the tools I use most often in the kitchen.

I'm a sucker for kitchen stuff.... utensils, dishes, pots, pans, gadgets, appliances.  You name it, I need it!  I didn't realize how acute this had become until my husband and I had the opportunity to stroll through the mall last Saturday without any real purpose (or any children).  I couldn't care less about any of the department stores.  The clothing and shoe stores hold no power over me.  In fact, I really don't enjoy shopping much at all.  But then we stumbled upon Williams Sonoma!

I believe we spent almost an hour perusing every corner of the store while I ooohed and aaaahed over an assortment of culinary "necessities" that I have neither the funds to buy nor the space to store.  Then we hit up Home Goods and World Market!  By the end of the afternoon I had a list a mile long of various things that I just must have for my kitchen.  But until the day comes when a money tree sprouts in my backyard and my kitchen magically doubles in size I'm going to rely on the same trusty tools that have brought me this far.  I'll share some of my favorites.

                                                     

Food Processor

It took me years to break down and buy a food processor.  I thought that anything I needed could be accomplished in my trusty (cheap) Oster blender.  Oh how wrong I was!  I use this more than any other appliance in my kitchen except my coffee pot.  Not only for the typical pureeing and grinding, but it grates a pound of cheese in SECONDS.  The fresh grated stuff is so much better (cheaper) than the preshredded bags but for convenience I have been buying them for years.  Not anymore!

Don't even get me started on pie crusts!  Who knew they were so easy?

Oh how I wish I had this when I spent months making baby food.  I can only imagine the time it would have saved.



Mesh Strainer

As a baker I'm almost ashamed to admit that I do not own a sifter.  I'm a firm believer in the sifting process and I know it makes a difference in the texture of baked goods, but I'm not a fan of the sifter itself.  They are a pain to clean and my mesh strainer works just fine.  It serves double (triple?) duty as a sifter/strainer/sieve in my kitchen. 



Flexible Cutting Mats

I use these mats instead of cutting boards.  It's easy as pie to transfer veggies or meats from the flexible mats to a bowl, pot or pan.  The labeled set of four allows you to use a different mat for each type of food and lessens the risk of contamination.

For more tips (on everything under the sun) visit Works for Me Wednesday and We Are THAT Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment