Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Running Saga

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. - Hebrews 12:1-2




I haven't posted much about my running here but I thought it was time that I shared my running story.  It's something that I really enjoy and something that has become a part of me.  Running is also something that I truly believe anyone can do if they put their mind to it.

If you've known me in real life for any period of time you know that I am by far not athletically inclined.  I've struggled with my weight my entire life and have always been the picked-last-for-the-dodgeball-team kind of girl. 

Several years ago someone on The Nest (an online community for newlyweds where I met and made friends with a great group of gals) posted about the Couch to 5K program.  I gave it a shot and quit after no more than a week.  It was hard and I hated running.  Fast forward to three years and one baby later and I needed to do something, anything to get into a regular fitness routine.  I'm not trying to be supermodel skinny, I just want to be healthy.

I decided to try the Couch to 5K program one more time.  My fabulous friend Kasey had been doing the program with great success and was recruiting people for the Race for the Cure on October 3rd.  With exactly nine weeks until the race I had just enough time to complete C25K.  In a moment of insanity I registered for the race!

I cannot say enough  good things about  C25K.  Anyone on any fitness level can do it.  I'm not saying it's not hard and I'm not saying it doesn't hurt some days.... I'm just saying it works!  I believe the one thing that made this a success for me was realizing I was not alone.  A friend said to me the other day when I was nervous about something, "I see Jesus right there holding your hand."  How right she was!  Knowing that God was with me through every step, stumble, and gasping breath and that HE WANTED ME TO SUCCEED made the hard parts so much easier.

Now, on a good week I run most mornings.  My runs range from two to five miles depending on the weather, time constraints, and just how I feel in general.  I'll never be an elite runner or even a good runner by the worlds standards, but I AM a runner none the less.  Most days I listen to some great upbeat worship music while I run.  Other days I just listen to God and the world He created.  Every day I thank Him for giving me the ability to be out there.

In another post I'll share some of the tips, tricks and websites that I've come across these past few months.  But I do want to share this site with you.  Shelley at Running for Christ is following God's pull in her life to use her running to minister to others.  She is sending me a few Running for Christ shoe charms that I'll be glad to share.  Just let me know if you're interested and I'll get one to you.



For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

1 comment:

  1. It's so wonderful that you've found a passion for running and that you're keeping God in your path while you're doing it.

    I'd love one of the shoe charms - it would be inspiring for me to wear that while I try to get in shape again. You can contact me at lawfrog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete